Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Day 4 DFI Dealing with Data

What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy:

Sharing being such an integral part of who most of us are.  This correlates well with my work as a guidance counsellor - having an 'audience' to who we are can be an important part of our self worth.  

What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional/with my learners or in my personal life?

I have pinned the camera app to task bar so that I can have a go taking a photo with the laptop camera.

Helpful Hints - ctrl/shift/v when pasting - pastes text without formatting so that it takes on the format of wherever you are posting it.  This is such a timesaver!  Thanks Maria :) 

Forms - I have answered lots of google forms but never created one myself.  I have created survey monkey instead.  Maybe this is outdated now - I'm not sure.  

My Maps - I would like to be able to add points in maps and calculate the distance between each one as often do jogs that aren't on google maps.  I use the 'map my run' app on my phone which tells me once I have done the jog but it is good to get an estimate before I go.  

Sheets - This section was really helpful for my gateway data.  Maybe I could start using sheets instead of just the table that I have created in google docs.  I am wondering what would be the advantages and disadvantages of this.  One of the advantages would be the graphs eg:



3 comments:

  1. I also really like this shortcut Susan: ctrl/shift/v One of the many little tricks that saves so much time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Susan,

    One of the reasons I love collecting data on spreadsheets rather than a table in a doc is the ability to sort the data, and calculate content from it. As well as being able to create those graphs. I worked with the guidance counsellor at one of the schools in the Manaiakalani Outreach Programme and we created a tracking sheet which she used to record the students she saw and the topics that were discussed. It also then automatically counted up the number of students which were seen about a particular thing, this allowed her to use this data for funding applications, or to seek further support for the students without having to do that heavy lifting of manually tracking this. Let me know if you'd like to have a look.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Susan,
    Creating via forms is a great way to have control of the data rather than putting it on a third party website like survey monkey. Google forms can be personalised and have a good range of questions. It is my go-to! As with many google tools forms can appear basic initially but you can do most things needed and it does not do the thinking for you.
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete