Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Day 8 Computational Thinking

 I really enjoyed Dorothy's "Empowered" korero as this is a kaupapa that is close to my heart as a school Guidance Counsellor.  I feel like Bay of Islands College did really well by our kids when we had lockdowns in ensuring that they all had devices and even internet access.  As you know from our Principal Edith's korero last week our results actually improved during lockdown.  I think it's important for me and our staff to remember that these tools and access to them should be a right for our kids and not an 'extra'.  Yes, we want them to continue to be empowered.  Thanks for that Dorothy.


The future of technology korero from Vicki was also really interesting.  I have heard similar korero at careers advisor workshops/conferences.  This was a good reminder and I can use these ideas with my Gateway class.  I need to find a copy of the jobs Vicki put up in her korero.  It was something along the lines of jobs we didn't used to have.  


I had to pop out of the meeting for a bit but I do think that coding is a bit beyond me anyway.  Ahakoa he aha.  The seed has been planted for now.  

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Susan,
    It is really key for us to remember that the tools and access are are part of the learning environment now. Empowering our learners, and their whānau is so important!
    The slide with the jobs which didn't exist 10 years ago, is on this slide and the link to where it came from is in the speaker notes.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Susan,
    I found coding very daunting at the start. A whole new language, and not just one! However, in giving coding a go I found that if I kept trying I did get better - slowly. The block coding in Scratch really is quite accessible. Coding is now another tool in the kete to use with learners.
    Arohanui,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete